Vegan & protein loaded, Best Sun-Dried Tomato Beans is a flavorful, healthy meal that kids love too. Affordable and easy to make.
This was inspired by my Lentil Chili & Thyme Roasted Corn on this site, and pairs well with this Crispy Roasted Potato Bites.
- Sun-dried tomatoes (preserved in oil)
- Vegetable broth
- Oil from sun-dried tomatoes
- Yellow onion
- Fresh thyme
- Fresh oregano
- Tomato paste
- Red wine vinegar
- Cannellini or Great Northern beans
- Maple syrup
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
See recipe card for quantities.
Blending the sun-dried tomatoes incorporates their intense sweet-tart flavor evenly into the Best Sun-Dried Tomato Beans sauce.
Cook the aromatics, and herbs. Add the tomato paste and cook for another minute. Stir in the red wine vinegar, and vegetable broth and deglaze the skillet.
Add the white beans, or your favorite beans. Most varieties will work. Navy beans, and pinto beans are especially good substitutes for the cannellini or Great Northern beans.
The longer the beans simmer in the sauce, the more flavorful they are. However, if you're short on time, simmer for about 5 minutes or until they are warmed through.
- Beans - instead of cannellini or Great Northern, you can use pinto or navy
- Herbs - substitute the fresh thyme and oregano for 1 ½ teaspoons dried herbs as desired
- Spicy - add crushed red pepper while cooking to imbue heat into the dish
- Iron-rich - add chopped kale, collards, chard, or spinach for even more nutrients
If you like spice, see this Bean Curry with Roasted Potatoes on my website!
Use an immersion blender to blend the sun-dried tomatoes and vegetable broth for easier clean up.
Refrigerate any remaining Best Sun-Dried Tomato Beans in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
These ingredients stand up well to freezing.
Dried herbs are more potent than fresh herbs. Use this ratio as a general rule of thumb: one tablespoon fresh herbs to one teaspoon dried herbs.
This means, use one-third the amount of dried herb for the fresh herb called for in the recipe.
👩🏽🍳 Made this recipe?
Share your creation with me on Instagram. It makes my day to see you recreate my recipes.
I would love it if you would ⭐️ rate this recipe and leave a comment. Thank you in advance.
Best Sun-Dried Tomato Beans
- ½ cup sun-dried tomatoes preserved in oil
- 2 ½ cups plus ¼ cup vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons oil from preserve sun-dried tomatoes
- 1 small yellow onion medium dice (about 1 cup)
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 2 ½ teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
- 2 teaspoons fresh oregano
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 ½ tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 30 ounces cannellini beans or Great Northern (2 15-ounce cans) drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Blend the sun-dried tomatoes with 2 ½ cups vegetable broth until smooth. Set aside.
- Cook the aromatics and herbs: Heat the oil in a large skillet or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Cook the onion for about 5 minutes, or until golden. Add the garlic, thyme, and oregano and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add the tomato paste and cook for another minute, stirring constantly.
- Add the red wine vinegar, and ¼ cup vegetable broth. Use a wooden spoon to scrape any bits from the sides of the pan. Cook the vinegar and broth for 3 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the beans, the blended sun-dried tomatoes, and maple syrup. Bring the liquid to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for about 15 minutes, or until the sauce is the desired consistency. Stir frequently. Season with salt and pepper.
- 1 ½ teaspoons dried herbs for the thyme and oregano
- Great Northern, pinto or navy beans for the cannellini
This information is provided as a courtesy and is an ESTIMATE only. Varying factors such as product types or brands purchased can change the nutritional information in any given recipe.
These are the best beans. I just happened upon this recipe from Rainbow plant life’s bean recipe page and this may be my all time favorite bean dish!
I made great northern beans in my instant pot and added them to your sun-dried tomato heavenly sauce. So good. WOW thank you!
Nisha (@rainbowplantlife) is so lovely. I didn't know she featured my beans. That's amazing! Thank you for sharing that. I'm so glad you enjoyed them. Have a lovely week.
Love this recipe! Absolutely delicious!
That's great. Thanks for commenting.