Creamy cashew cheese paired with garlicky mushrooms make these Easy Cheesy Vegan Quesadillas addictively delicious. Family-friendly, pantry-friendly, and nutritious, you're bound to love this recipe.
I was inspired to create vegan quesadillas so delicious, that you won't miss the cheese. These turned out even better than I imagined. The easy-to-make cashew cheese sauce is so creamy and 'cheesy', making it the perfect vegan cheese substitute.
I used oyster mushrooms to make the filling for these Easy Cheesy Vegan Quesadillas. Although most types of mushrooms will work just as well, the meaty texture of oyster mushrooms are so good with the creamy cheese sauce. Another one of my favorite oyster mushroom recipes on this site is Oyster Mushroom Noodle Stir-Fry.
This dish pairs well with Crispy Roasted Potato Bites.
- Oyster Mushrooms (or substitute for cremini, or white button mushrooms)
- Spinach, chopped kale, or arugula (optional)
- Burrito-size soft tortillas
For the vegan cashew cheese sauce:
- Nutritional yeast –adds a cheesy flavor to the cashew cheese sauce, as well as essential B vitamins including B12
- Lemon juice
- Onion powder, Garlic powder, Ground mustard seed
- Cornstarch (or arrowroot)
- Mellow miso
See recipe card for quantities.
There are just three simple steps for making Easy Cheesy Vegan Quesadillas.
Step 1: Cook the Mushrooms & Greens
Follow this technique for making the best sautéed mushrooms:
- Use a combination of vegan butter and olive oil in a one to one ratio.
- Do not overcrowd the pan. If you crowd the mushrooms, they will simmer instead of brown.
- Do not stir too much. Alternate between letting them sit, and stirring. They should form a crust on one side before moving them.
- Use medium-high heat to cook your mushrooms.
Add the garlic and greens once the mushrooms are done browning. Cook until the greens are just wilted.
Step 2: Make the Cheesy Vegan Cashew Sauce
If you don't have a high-speed blender, it's best to soak the cashews overnight. Otherwise, you can use the quick soak method of placing them in very hot water for about 20 minutes. If you do own a high-speed blender, you shouldn't need to soak them at all.
Add the cheese sauce ingredients to the blender. Blend on high until smooth. Adjust salt and lemon juice to taste.
Heat the vegan cheese sauce until just thickened, stirring constantly.
Step 3: Cook the Quesadillas
Heat a little oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add one tortilla and spread the cashew cheese sauce on top. Place the sautéed mushrooms on one side. Fold the other side of the tortilla over to cover the filling. Cook until the bottom is browned before flipping it over. Repeat for the remaining three tortillas.
Hint: For even browning, add a little more oil for each tortilla.
Once your Easy Cheesy Vegan Quesadillas are ready, serve immediately.
- Mushrooms - instead of oyster mushrooms, you can use cremini or white button mushrooms
- Quesadillas - use gluten free quesadillas instead of flour tortillas, but choose ones that are soft and easily foldable
- Spinach - instead of baby spinach, use chopped kale or arugula
- Spicy - add crushed red pepper when cooking your garlic and mushrooms, or add sriracha to the cashew cheese sauce
- Deluxe - add caramelized onions
My go-to non-stick skillet is the Ozeri Stone Earth Frying Pan. It comes in several sizes and the non-stick element is very durable. Check out the Ozeri Stone Earth Series.
Refrigerate any remaining cashew cheese sauce in an airtight container for up to three days.
🎥 Watch This Video
Cashews were omitted by the FDA from the qualified health claim that nuts may lower heart disease risk because they contain about 20% saturated fat. But the saturated fat in cashews is mostly stearic acid, which is thought to have a neutral effect on blood cholesterol. Some studies have found the consumption of cashews to lower bad cholesterol.
In addition, they are rich in fiber, vitamins, minerals, phytochemicals, and protein. They are a healthy addition to this vegan cheese sauce, and give the sauce its creamy texture.
Made this Easy Cheesy Vegan Quesadilla recipe? Share your creation with me on Instagram. It makes my day to see you recreate my recipes.Print