This recipe for Tofu Sun-Dried Tomato Pasta is quick, delicious, vegan, and budget-friendly. A dinner the whole family will love. Kid approved.
No chopping required, ready in under 25 minutes, and loved by all! Keep this recipe in your arsenal for when you need to get dinner on the table ASAP.
Plus, it's so easy, I have my kids make it for me. (They're teenagers. I wouldn't be handing this recipe over to young kids.)
Tofu is a healthy plant-based source of protein, containing all nine essential amino acids. It's made from soybeans which are naturally gluten-free and low in calories. Plus, it's a good source of iron and contains no cholesterol. It's also rich in heart-healthy isoflavones and good fats.
In addition, it's very versatile and easy to cook with, readily taking on the flavor of sauces and marinades.
Is firm or extra firm tofu better?
It depends. Extra firm tofu has less water than firm tofu, which you notice in the difference in texture. The culinary uses of firm and extra firm are almost the same, but extra firm tofu doesn't absorb marinades as well. On the other hand, extra firm is easier to pan-fry, stir-fry or deep-fry.
Due to its cheesy, nutty flavor, nutritional yeast can be added to just about all your meals and snacks for extra protein, vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants.
Nutritional yeast are golden flakes made with yeast similar to the strain used in brewing and baking, but it’s deactivated in the final product.
Many vegans use fortified nutritional yeast, which provides the daily-recommended amount of B12, which is usually scarce in a vegan diet.
Make the Sauce
Add the ingredients to a food processor, and press the 'on' button. Use a spatula to scrape down the sides so everything gets incorporated evenly.
Extra-virgin olive oil and tofu give the sauce a creamy and smooth texture. However, feel free to substitute the olive oil for water, and some fresh lemon juice, for an oil-free option.
Look how creamy this sauce is! It's as delicious as it is creamy.
Cook the Sauce
Transfer the sauce to a large sauté pan and add the reserved pasta water to thin out the sauce. (Don't forget to save some when your pasta is done cooking. I always forget and end up having to make another batch of pasta! My kids love when that happens.)
Cook until warmed through. Mix in the sun-dried tomatoes, and cooked pasta. Add fresh lemon juice, and crushed red pepper.
If you don't plan on using all the sauce, transfer some to an air tight container before adding the pasta. Refrigerate for up to three days. To reheat the sauce, add water until the desired consistency.
- This creamy vegan sauce is made with firm tofu, which is higher in protein than both silken and medium-firm tofu.
- It contains nutritional yeast for those essential B vitamins.
- The sun-dried tomatoes are rich in vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants, particularly lycopene which is a powerful anti-cancer nutrient. Their sweet-tart flavor balance the sauce perfectly.
👩🏽🍳 Made This Recipe?
Share your Tofu Sun-Dried Tomato Pasta creation with me on Instagram. It makes my day to see you recreate my recipes.
I would love it if you would rate this recipe and leave a comment. Thank you in advance.
Tofu Sun-Dried Tomato Pasta
- 6 cups dry pasta
For the sauce:
- 14 ounces firm tofu
- ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons mellow miso (white miso)
- 6 sun-dried tomatoes roughly chopped (preserved in olive oil)
- Fresh lemon juice to taste
- Crushed red pepper to taste
- Pasta: Cook the pasta according to packet directions until al dente. Reserve two cups of the pasta cooking water.
- Sauce: Place the tofu, olive oil, garlic, nutritional yeast, and miso in a food processor. Process until smooth, scraping the sides of the container with a spatula as needed.
- Cook: Transfer the sauce to a large sauté pan. Add one cup of the reserved pasta cooking water and whisk to combine. Cook over low heat, stirring frequently. When the sauce is warm, mix in the pasta, and sun-dried tomatoes. Cook over low heat until warmed through, adding more pasta cooking water as needed.
- Season: Add fresh lemon juice, and crushed red pepper.
- Remember to save the pasta cooking water for finishing the sauce.
- Use sun-dried tomatoes preserved in olive oil.
This information is provided as a courtesy and is an ESTIMATE only. Varying factors such as product types or brands purchased can change the nutritional information in any given recipe.