Baked, kid-friendly, and rich in plant-based protein, Easy Vegan Chipotle Tofu Burgers are the ideal pantry-friendly dinner.
These tofu burgers are a satisfying dinner the whole family will enjoy. Great for summer, or any season, this healthy and delicious recipe is worth keeping in your arsenal.
- Extra-firm tofu
- Chia seeds
- Vegan mayonnaise
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Ground mustard seed
- Chipotle powder
- Black pepper
- Vegan Worcestershire sauce
See recipe card for quantities.
The binder these burgers are the chia eggs. Make these first so they have time to thicken. Simply add water to the chia seeds and set aside for 5 minutes.
Add the remaining ingredients for these Easy Vegan Chipotle Tofu Burgers to a large bowl. Add the chia eggs and mix to combine. I find that good old fashioned 'hands' are the best mixing tool. You will also need to squeeze the mixture into a dough-like texture.
Use ½ cup measurement to make 6 equal-sized patties. Or use ¼ cup to make 8 sliders. A serving size is about 2 patties. For a delicious mouthfeel and more crispiness, pan-fry your patties in about 1 tablespoon oil before baking.
Hint: When your patties are done baking, place them on a baking rack for a few minutes to firm up.
Serve your patties bun-less, or make Easy Vegan Chipotle Tofu Burgers and add your favorite dressings and toppings.
- Mayonnaise - instead of vegan mayonnaise, you can use vegan sour cream
- Worcestershire sauce - use The Wizard's Worcestershire sauce to make this vegan and gluten-free
- Breadcrumbs - use gluten free breadcrumbs to make this gluten free
- Bun - use gluten free buns instead of wheat bread buns to make this gluten free
🥑 Topping Variations
- Spicy - add chili powder or more chipotle powder for spicy patties, and serve with sriracha mayonnaise
- Kid friendly - serve with guacamole, crispy onions rings, or Homemade Baked Potato Chips
Store any remaining patties in the fridge for up to 3 days.
These Easy Vegan Chipotle Tofu Burgers stand up well to freezing.
💡 Top tip
Sear the outside by pan-frying the patties in a non-stick skillet for crispier burgers. Allow the burgers to sit for a few minutes after baking, so they become even firmer.
For 1 chia egg, add 1 tablespoon chia seeds to about 2.5 tablespoons water. Mix well and set aside for 5 minutes to thicken. Use one chia egg to replace 1 chicken egg in a recipe.
Chia seeds are the richest plant-based source of heart healthy omega-3 fatty acids. Higher blood levels of omega-3s are associated with lower risk of premature death.
They're also high in fiber, which passes through the body undigested and helps keep hunger and blood sugar in check.
Chia seeds are a complete protein, containing all 9 essential amino acids that cannot be made by the body.
They are also a good source of calcium, zinc, and phosphorous.
👩🏽🍳 Made this recipe?
Share your creation with me on Instagram. It makes my day to see you recreate my recipes.
I would love it if you would rate this recipe and leave a comment. Thank you in advance.
Easy Vegan Chipotle Tofu Burgers
- 14 ounces extra-firm tofu pressed, crumbled
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise vegan
- 3 tablespoons breadcrumbs
- ⅓ cup finely minced shallots
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard seed
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ¾ teaspoon chipotle powder
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce vegan
- Salt to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF.
- Make the chia eggs: In a small bowl, mix the chia seeds with 4 ½ tablespoons water to make two chia eggs. Set aside for at least 5 minutes.
- Use your hands to break up the tofu into small crumbles into a large bowl.
- Add burger ingredients: Add the mayonnaise, breadcrumbs, shallots, garlic powder, onion powder, ground mustard seed, paprika, chipotle powder, black pepper, and Worcestershire sauce to the bowl. Add salt to taste. Use your hands to fully incorporate the ingredients.
- Add the chia egg. Use your hands to fully incorporate the ingredients, squeezing the tofu into a dough-like mixture. Let the mixture rest for at least 5 minutes.
- Form the patties: Using ½ cup measurement for each, form the patties. Transfer them to a medium baking sheet in a single layer.
- Bake the patties: Bake for 10 minutes before carefully flipping the patties over. Bake for about 20 minutes more, or until golden brown on both sides. Transfer to a cooling rack for at least 5 minutes to set.
- For serving: Serve with hamburger buns and desired toppings.
- Vegan Worcestershire Sauce Brands: Annie's, The Wizard's
This information is provided as a courtesy and is an ESTIMATE only. Varying factors such as product types or brands purchased can change the nutritional information in any given recipe.