This versatile Easy Roasted Chickpeas Hummus Pasta is the perfect weeknight dinner. Healthy, kid approved, and ready in under 30 minutes. Plus, it's a one-pot meal, so clean up is a breeze! (Gluten-free option.)
Loaded with protein, fiber, and iron, this is a healthy way to enjoy one of the most popular comfort foods –pasta!
This dish was inspired by my 20-Minute Pesto-Gnocchi with Burst Tomatoes on this site, as well as this delicious Miso Butter Corn & Tomato Pasta.
Only seven ingredients. All budget and pantry-friendly.
- Grape tomatoes burst in the oven adding a juicy, sweet and tangy flavor to this dish. They also add lycopene, a powerful antioxidant that gives them their red color.
- Wholegrain pasta is a healthier choice than refined pasta. It is higher in fiber, so you feel fuller for longer. Use gluten-free pasta to make this recipe gluten-free.
- Chickpeas add plant-based protein, fiber, and iron. They become crispy in the oven, adding a variety of texture to the dish.
- Hummus pairs deliciously with pasta. Who would have thought? It is a healthy vegan substitute for the heavy cream typically used in dairy-based cream sauces. Most flavors of hummus are well-suited for this recipe, including traditional, roasted red pepper, lemon garlic, and mediterranean herb. Use homemade or store-bought.
See recipe card for quantities.
This pasta is simple to make, yet it is full of flavor and very satisfying.
Preheat the oven to 400ºF.
Use a large baking dish. Do not overcrowd the tomatoes and chickpeas as this prevents them from browning evenly. Browning adds a ton of flavor from the caramelization of the tomatoes. It also makes the chickpeas crispier.
Roast at 400ºF for about 25 minutes, or until the tomatoes burst, and the chickpeas are golden brown.
Mix in the hummus and pasta until all the ingredients are coated with the hummus and the juices from the tomatoes. Serve warm.
- Hummus - Use classic hummus, flavored hummus, or my Red Lentil Hummus-Style Dip.
- Pasta - use gluten-free pasta to make this dish gluten-free
- Chickpeas - substitute the chickpeas with white beans, or omit as desired
- Pistachios - garnish with chopped pistachios for more heart healthy fats and a delicious crunch
- Herbs - Add more fresh or dried herbs (thyme, rosemary, oregano, Italian seasoning)
- Veggies - Pack more veggies into this meal. Add bite-size veggies to the baking dish with the tomatoes and chickpeas, or place them in a separate dish and roast at the same time. Brussels, carrots, bell peppers, asparagus, sweet green peas, and jarred artichoke hearts would work well. Or mix in a handful of spinach at the end with the pasta and hummus. Adjust the quantities of olive oil, garlic, seasoning, pasta, and hummus to taste.
- Olives - add olives for even more depth of flavor and heart healthy fats
Visit my pasta recipes page for more easy one-pot pasta dinners.
I used a large ceramic baking dish to make this recipe. A nonstick dish is not necessary, and may reduce browning.
If you are planning on having leftovers, do not add the pasta to the roasted veggies and hummus. Add the pasta for serving. Refrigerate the hummus tomato sauce and pasta in separate airtight containers. Good for 3 to 4 days.
Reheat the sauce in a small saucepan, adding water as needed until the desired consistency. Stir in the pasta and cook over medium-low heat until warmed through.
These ingredients do not stand up well to freezing.
💡 Top tip
An optional step is to rub the chickpeas between layers of a kitchen towel before roasting to remove their skins. This gets them even crispier in the oven.
Pay attention to the cooking pasta! Do not let it overcook or it may become mushy when added to the hot roasted tomatoes.
You can easily make this recipe gluten-free by using gluten-free pasta. Or make zucchini noodles (zoodles) using a spiralizer.
It is fine to use chopped tomatoes. Use about 2 pounds tomatoes. They do not brown like cherry and grape tomatoes, but they still produce a delectable garlicky tomato sauce that pairs well with the hummus.
Blend 1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas (drained, liquid reserved), 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice, 1 tablespoon olive oil, 1 large garlic clove, ½ teaspoon ground cumin, and salt to taste in a food processor. Stream in the reserved chickpea liquid as it blends until the desired consistency.
👩🏽🍳 Made This Recipe?
Share your Easy Roasted Chickpeas Hummus Pasta creation with me on Instagram. It makes my day to see you recreate my recipes.
I would love it if you would ⭐️ rate this recipe and leave a comment. Thank you in advance.
Roasted Chickpeas Hummus Pasta Recipe
- 8 ounces dried pasta
- 2 pints cherry tomatoes or grape tomatoes
- 15 ounces chickpeas canned, drained and rinsed
- 6 cloves garlic
- 1 ½ teaspoons Italian seasoning (optional)
- Drizzle of olive oil
- 1 ½ cups fresh basil leaves plus ½ cup for garnish
- ½ cup hummus
- Dash of crushed red pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF.
- Cook the pasta according to the directions on the packet until al dente.
- Combine ingredients: Place the tomatoes, chickpeas, garlic, and Italian seasoning into a large baking dish. Add a generous drizzle of olive oil. Tear the fresh basil leaves and place on top, reserving one half cup for garnish. Mix the ingredients until fully incorporated, adding more olive oil as needed until all the ingredients are generously coated.
- Bake for 25 minutes, or until the tomatoes burst, and the chickpeas are golden brown. Stir after 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven. Slice the garlic cloves as desired.
- Add hummus and pasta: Mix in the hummus, and the desired amount of pasta.
- Garnish with chopped basil.
- Use a large baking dish to roast the tomatoes and chickpeas so they cook evenly. Do not overcrowd or they will steam.
- Most flavors of hummus will work in this recipe, including traditional, roasted red pepper, lemon garlic, and mediterranean herb hummus. Use homemade or store-bought.
- For gluten-free, use gluten-free pasta, or make zucchini noodles (zoodles) using a spiralizer.
This information is provided as a courtesy and is an ESTIMATE only. Varying factors such as product types or brands purchased can change the nutritional information in any given recipe.
This is now my favorite go to fast pasta dinner!
I'm so glad! Thank you for sharing that. Have a lovely weekend.
Delicious flavours, the roasted chickpeas and tomatoes pair really well. I love that it’s a one-pot meal that is easy and quick to prepare. It’s tangy, filling & delicious!
I am so glad you are enjoying this recipe. Thank you for letting me know.
Absolutely fantastic recipe! Followed as written, only change was used gluten free pasta. Definitely a hit from a toddler to grandparents! We will 100% make again. The hummus recipe that was included A+. Thank you for sharing! I'll return for more ideas 🙂
This makes me so happy to read. Thank you for letting me know. Have a great day.
Tasty and nutritious, really enjoyed making this and serving it to my family❤️
I'm glad the family enjoyed it. Thank you.