Follow my 3-step oven or air fryer recipe for the best Crispy Roasted Chickpeas every time. Plus, learn how to store them so they stay crispy! Enjoy them for a protein-rich snack, or pair crispy chickpeas with bowls, salads, or pasta for more plant-based protein.
If you're one of those people who thinks, 'Why aren't my chickpeas getting crispy?' you've probably been roasting them wrong. The secret to crispy chickpeas is to dry them well before roasting and season them as soon as they are done, and not before.
- Canned or dry chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
- Olive oil or avocado oil (optional)
- Seasoning: Salt, garlic powder, and paprika
See the recipe card for quantities.
- Olive oil - use avocado oil, substitute with lemon juice and zest, or omit entirely
- Seasonings - use one of more of the following: garlic powder, paprika, smoked paprika, chili powder, chipotle, oregano, onion powder, turmeric, garam masala, coriander, cumin, lemon and zest, maple syrup, cinnamon, cayenne, nutritional yeast, sesame seeds, dried or fresh parsley, thyme, or oregano
If using canned chickpeas, drain and rinse them beforehand. For dry chickpeas, soak them overnight with water to cover about 2 inches high before cooking.
Or use the quick soak method for dry chickpeas. Place them in a saucepan with water to cover by about 3 inches. Bring the water to a boil before removing them from the heat. Set aside covered for at least 1 hour. Drain the soaked chickpeas and transfer them to a saucepan. Add water and cook them for about one hour or until just tender.
Preheat the oven to 400ºF, or set an air fryer to 390ºF.
Step 1. Rub the cooked chickpeas between the layers of a clean dish towel or paper towel. Remove the skins if you have time.
Step 2. Place the dry chickpeas onto a large rimmed nonstick baking sheet. Bake them for 10 minutes. Or roast them in an air fryer for 5 minutes.
Step 3. Toss the plain baked chickpeas with olive oil. Bake them for about 10 minutes more, or until crispy. Or roast them in the air fryer for about 5 more minutes, or until crispy.
Step 4. Toss the crispy chickpeas with salt, garlic powder and paprika.
💡 Expert Tips
- Roast the chickpeas in a single layer on a large rimmed baking tray with enough space for hot air to pass between them so they crisp up evenly.
- Do not add oil until the chickpeas are dry. Then toss them in a light layer of olive oil. Or use a dash of lemon juice and zest for oil-free.
- Add the salt and spices at the end while the chickpeas are still hot.
- Storage: Make sure the chickpeas have cooled completely before storing. Hot chickpeas release moisture which can make them lose their crispiness. Transfer the to an airtight container. This prevents excess moisture from getting in. Store in a cool, dry place. Do not refrigerate. Consume Crispy Chickpeas within 3 days for the best texture and flavor.
🙋🏽♀️ Recipe FAQs
Chickpeas and garbanzo beans are interchangeable terms for the same variety of chickpeas, known as the kabuli chickpea.
Canned chickpeas have undergone a cooking and canning process during their preparation. As a result, they are fully cooked and can be eaten directly from the can or used in recipes without further cooking. It is preferable to rinse them first to remove any excess salt or brine.
If your chickpeas lose their crispiness, try re-crisping them in a toaster oven, oven, or air fryer. Spread them on a baking sheet and cook at a low temperature, around 200ºF, for 10 to 15 minutes.
Place them in an airtight container in a cool, dry place. Do not refrigerate. Place a moisture absorber, such as a desiccant packet or a small container of rice, inside the container.
🍽 Related Recipes
👩🏽🍳 Made This Recipe?
Share your Crispy Roasted Chickpeas Recipe with me on Instagram. It makes my day to see you recreate my recipes.
I would love it if you would ⭐️ rate this recipe and leave a comment. Thank you in advance.
Crispy Roasted Chickpeas Recipe
- 1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas or 1 ½ cups cooked
- Drizzle of olive oil avocado oil, or lemon zest and juice
- Salt to taste
- Dash of garlic powder
- Dash of paprika
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF, or set an air fryer to 390ºF.
- Dry: Rub the cooked chickpeas between the layers of a clean dish towel or paper towel. Remove the skins if you have time.
- Roast: Place the dry chickpeas onto a large rimmed nonstick baking sheet. Bake them for 10 minutes.Or roast them in an air fryer for 5 minutes.
- Toss the plain baked chickpeas with olive oil. Bake them for about 10 minutes more, or until crispy.Or put them back in the air fryer for about 5 minutes more, or until crispy.
This information is provided as a courtesy and is an ESTIMATE only. Varying factors such as product types or brands purchased can change the nutritional information in any given recipe.