High-Protein Tomato & Basil Salad with Chickpeas
Chickpeas, artichoke hearts, and fresh mint pack in plant-based protein & flavor in this High-Protein Tomato & Basil Salad. It's a complete meal all by itself and takes only 20 minutes to whip up.
Servings: 3 people
- 1 pint grape tomatoes halved
- Salt to taste
- 3 tablespoons avocado oil or extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 ½ tablespoons grain mustard
- 1 ½ tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 large avocado cubed
- ½ cup marinated artichoke hearts jarred or canned, quartered
- 1 cup chickpeas
- 6 mint leaves chiffonade
- 7 basil leaves chiffonade
- ⅓ cup pistachios chopped
- Black pepper to taste
Salt the tomatoes: Transfer the tomatoes to a large sieve. Add a generous dash of salt. Rub the tomatoes to evenly coat with the salt. Set aside to drain for at least 15 minutes. Rub them again while lightly squeezing to remove more of their juices. Reserve the juice.
Make the dressing: Add the juice from the tomatoes, avocado oil, grain mustard, and lemon juice to a medium bowl and mix well to combine.
Combine the ingredients: Stir in the tomatoes, avocado, artichoke hearts, chickpeas, mint, basil, and pistachios. Season with salt and pepper.
- Marinated artichokes add more flavor to this recipe, but any jarred or canned artichoke hearts will work. If you are not able to find them quartered, chop them before adding to the salad.
Calories: 471kcal | Carbohydrates: 34g | Protein: 11g | Fat: 35g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 5g | Monounsaturated Fat: 21g | Sodium: 229mg | Potassium: 1030mg | Fiber: 13g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 1956IU | Vitamin C: 41mg | Calcium: 83mg | Iron: 3mg