Vegan Tofu Scramble Breakfast Burrito Recipe
This recipe for vegan High-Protein Tofu Scramble is great for making eggless breakfast burritos, fried rice, or serve it as a side dish. It's quick, easy, and meal-prep friendly.
Servings: 6 wraps
For the tofu scramble:
- 14- or 16- ounces firm tofu 1 (14- or 16-ounce) block, preferably pressed
- ½ cup unsweetened nondairy milk (oat, soy, almond, or cashew)
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 ¾ teaspoons Dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon kala namak (optional)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (optional)
- Salt to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
For the burrito (optional):
- 6 large tortillas (10 to 12 inches)
- 12 slices vegan cheese or 2 cups cheeze shreds
- 3 small avocados sliced
- 4 cups chopped fresh kale or spinach, sautéed in olive oil
Crumble tofu: Break the pressed tofu into about 1-inch chunks using your hands or a fork. Set aside.
Make eggy sauce: In a medium bowl, mix the nondairy milk, nutritional yeast, Dijon mustard, turmeric, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, and kala namak.
Cook tofu: Heat the oil over medium-high heat in a large nonstick skillet. Transfer the tofu chunks to the pan in a single layer. Cook undisturbed for 3 minutes. Cook the tofu for about 4 minutes more, or until lightly golden, stirring frequently. Be careful to toss gently so the tofu does not crumble too much.
Add the sauce and mix gently, folding the tofu into the sauce. Cook for about 2 more minutes, or until the desired consistency.
Optional: Place two slices vegan cheese, or one third cup cheeze shreds, onto a tortilla. Top with avocado, and sautéed kale. Divide the tofu scramble evenly among the wraps, and fold.
Optional: Heat the wraps in a nonstick skillet over medium-heat for about 2 minutes on each side, or until the cheese in just melted, and the tortillas are golden brown.
- Firm tofu is the preferred choice for this recipe, but extra-firm tofu works too. Press the tofu for 10 minutes beforehand for best results.
- Kala namak (Indian black salt) gives the tofu an egg-like flavor, similar to the yolk of a hard-boiled egg. While you can skip this ingredient, I highly recommend getting your hands on some.
- Oil-free - Skip the olive oil and cook the tofu in a large nonstick skillet. Add the eggy sauce as soon as it starts to stick to the pan. Omit the vegan cheese if making a burrito.
- Storage: Refrigerate any leftover tofu scramble in an airtight container for up to 4 days. Freeze breakfast burritos (minus avocado) for up to 1 month. Wrap them in aluminum foil or parchment paper and place in a freezer safe container. Reheat in a toaster oven, or conventional oven, at 375ºF until thoroughly heated through.
- Burrito filling variations- salsa, green lettuce, guacamole, beans, chopped tomatoes, tempeh bacon
Serving: 1 Breakfast Burrito | Calories: 504kcal | Carbohydrates: 40g | Protein: 16g | Fat: 33g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 5g | Monounsaturated Fat: 13g | Sodium: 600mg | Potassium: 792mg | Fiber: 13g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 4665IU | Vitamin C: 52mg | Calcium: 320mg | Iron: 4mg