Arugula Chickpea Quinoa Salad Recipe
Easy Arugula Chickpea Quinoa Salad with 3-Ingredient Hummus Dressing is a high-protein, complete meal. Perfect for picnics, BBQs, packed lunch.
Servings: 3 people
- ½ cup dry quinoa or 1 ½ cups cooked
- 15 ounces chickpeas canned, drained and rinsed
Optional for roasting chickpeas:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon chipotle powder
For the salad:
- 1 ½ cups chopped cucumber (about one-half large)
- ½ pint grape or cherry tomatoes quartered (about 1 cup)
- ½ medium red onion small dice (about 1 cup)
- ½ cup pitted kalamata olives chopped
- 6.5 ounces marinated artichoke hearts jarred or canned (quartered)
- 2 ½ cups baby arugula or baby kale or spinach, or chopped iceberg, romaine, or green lettuce
For the hummus dressing:
- ¼ cup plus 3 tablespoons hummus
- 1 ¾ teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1 ¾ teaspoons lemon juice
Cook the quinoa according to the directions on the packet. Set aside to cool.
Roast the chickpeas (optional): Preheat the oven to 425ºF. Rub the chickpeas between layers of paper or kitchen towel to dry. Toss them with the olive oil, paprika, garlic powder, chipotle powder, and salt to taste. Transfer them to a large rimmed baking sheet in a single layer. Roast for 15 minutes. Broil for about 2 minutes more, or until crispy. Set aside.
Make the dressing: Add the hummus, red wine vinegar, and lemon juice to a medium bowl. Mix well. Add 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons water, or as needed until the desired consistency.
Combine: Transfer the cucumber, tomatoes, red onion, olives, artichoke hearts, and arugula to a large bowl. Add the quinoa and chickpeas. Pour in the dressing. Mix well until fully incorporated.
- Roasting the chickpeas is optional. You can also add them directly from the can (rinsed and drained).
- To make this salad in 20 minutes: Start by cooking the quinoa, and roasting the chickpeas at the same time. Chop the veggies, and make the hummus dressing while the chickpeas are roasting. Once everything is ready, mix to combine.
- For meal-prep: Pre-cook the quinoa and chickpeas, and cut the veggies ahead of time. This way, assembling the salad with dressing takes just 5 minutes.
- For serving: Serve warm, or wait until everything cools before combining.
- Storage: Refrigerate leftovers in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
Calories: 541kcal | Carbohydrates: 71g | Protein: 21g | Fat: 21g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 4g | Monounsaturated Fat: 8g | Sodium: 345mg | Potassium: 982mg | Fiber: 17g | Sugar: 12g | Vitamin A: 1654IU | Vitamin C: 41mg | Calcium: 163mg | Iron: 7mg