Curried Butternut Squash Red Lentil Soup
This recipe for Curried Butternut Squash Red Lentil Soup uses pantry-friendly ingredients, is quick and affordable to make, with an option for oil-free.
Prep Time10 minutes mins
Cook Time25 minutes mins
Total Time35 minutes mins
Course: Main Course
Servings: 3 people
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or vegetable broth
- 1 medium yellow onion diced
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- ½ teaspoon coriander
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon garam masala
- 1 cup red lentils rinsed and drained
- 14 ½ ounces diced tomatoes canned, with juice
- 2 cups vegetable broth plus more for cooking
- 1 medium butternut squash cut into ¾-inch pieces (3 cups)
- Coconut milk canned, to taste (optional)
- Unsweetened non-dairy milk to taste (optional)
- Fresh lime juice to taste
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro for garnish
Cook aromatics: Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook the onion for about 5 minutes, or until translucent. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds more.
Cook spices: Add the curry powder, coriander, cumin, turmeric, and garam masala. Cook for 1 minute more.
Combine: Add the red lentils, diced tomatoes, vegetable broth, and butternut squash. Bring the liquid to a gentle boil before reducing the heat. Simmer with the lid on for about 20 minutes, or until the lentils are cooked and the squash is just tender.
Blend: Transfer 2 cups of the curry (without the squash) to a blender. Blend until mostly smooth. Return to the saucepan.
Add liquid: Stir in the desired amount of coconut milk, vegetable broth, or non-dairy milk until the desired consistency. Heat until warmed through, adding more broth, coconut milk, or non-dairy milk as needed.
Season: Add fresh lime juice to taste. Garnish with freshly chopped cilantro.
- For oil-free, substitute the olive oil for vegetable broth.
- Blend the soup in batches. Do not fill the blender more than half way. Remove the center cap and cover it with a dish cloth so the steam can escape. Hold the cloth down while blending.
Calories: 422kcal | Carbohydrates: 78g | Protein: 20g | Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 4g | Sodium: 206mg | Potassium: 1795mg | Fiber: 26g | Sugar: 12g | Vitamin A: 26856IU | Vitamin C: 72mg | Calcium: 216mg | Iron: 8mg