White Bean Mushroom Stew with Potatoes (and optional tempeh) is a healthy vegan alternative to traditional meaty stews. Protein-rich, easy to make, and with pantry-friendly ingredients. Oil-free option.
- 2 teaspoons olive oil, plus more as needed (optional)
- 1/2 (8-ounce) packet tempeh (optional), crumbled
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce or tamari, plus 1 tablespoon for sauce, plus more as needed
- 2 (8-ounce) packets cremini or white button mushrooms, quartered
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 large carrots, cut into 3/4-inch pieces
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup wholewheat pastry or all-purpose flour
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice, plus more as needed
- 1 pound creamer baby potatoes, halved
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 (15-ounce) can cannellini, navy, or Great Northern beans
- 2/3 cup frozen peas
- 1 1/3 cups coconut milk or unsweetened nondairy milk
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley for garnish
- Simmer tempeh (optional): Simmer the tempeh in water to cover by 2 inches for 3 minutes to remove the slightly bitter flavor before crumbling. Run the block under cold water. Use your hands to break the tempeh into crumbles.
- Sauté tempeh: Heat 2 teaspoons olive oil over medium-high heat in a large nonstick skillet. Cook the tempeh crumbles, if using, for about 5 minutes until golden brown, stirring occasionally. Add 1 tablespoon soy sauce and cook for 1 minute more, stirring constantly. Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- Cook mushrooms: Add a drizzle of olive oil to the same skillet and heat over medium-high heat. Cook the mushrooms for about 6 minutes, or until they release their liquid and brown, stirring occasionally. Transfer to the bowl with the tempeh, if using, and set aside.
- Cook onion and carrots: Drizzle more olive oil into the same skillet. Cook the onion and carrots for about 5 minutes, or until the onions are translucent. Add the flour and cook for 2 minutes more, stirring constantly.
- Add liquid: Whisk in the vegetable broth and lemon juice.
- Add the potatoes, bay leaves, rosemary, thyme, oregano, and basil. Bring the liquid to a gentle boil before reducing the heat to a low simmer. Simmer with the lid on for about 15 minutes, or until the potatoes are fork tender, stirring occasionally, and adding more broth as needed to keep the vegetables submerged.
- Combine ingredients and season: Discard the bay leaves. Add the tempeh crumbles (if using), beans, peas, and coconut milk. Add more water or broth as needed until the desired consistency. Season with salt and pepper. Adjust soy sauce and lemon juice to taste.
- Garnish with fresh parsley.
For oil-free: Substitute the olive oil for vegetable broth. The tempeh (if using) and mushrooms won't brown as readily, but the dish will still come together deliciously.
Tempeh: The tempeh crumbles are optional. Simmering the tempeh removes the bitter flavor associated with tempeh, but is an optional step.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Main Course
- Cuisine: Vegan
Keywords: mushroom stew, bean stew, vegan soup, potatoes, easy vegan dinner, budget recipe