Vegan Rib Sandwich with Street Corn is a protein-rich, plant-based meal. An easy and budget-friendly recipe that kids love too.
This recipe for Vegan Rib Sandwiches with Street Corn is a creative and delicious way to enjoy tempeh. Even tempeh-haters will enjoy this recipe.
Boiling the tempeh before marinating removes the bitterness from the tempeh. This is a foolproof method for making tempeh delicious.
More Tempeh & Corn Recipes:
🌭 Why this Recipe is Fabulous
- These sandwiches are 'meaty' in texture and flavor and a much healthier alternative to eating meat.
- Tempeh is rich in heart healthy plant-based protein, as well as iron, and fiber.
- This recipe is oil-free.
- It's an easy, family-friendly meal using budget-friendly ingredients.
- Plus, no saucepans required.
📖 How to Make This Recipe
Briefly boil the tempeh to remove any bitterness. (Boiling the tempeh is optional, but I highly recommend it.)
Cut the tempeh into 8 equal rectangles. (See the video in the recipe below for detailed instructions on how to do this.)
Make the marinade. Marinate the tempeh for at least 15 minutes and up to 1 hour.
Transfer the tempeh rectangles to a lined baking sheet, placing them in a single layer. Reserve the remaining marinade for basting the tempeh during baking. Basting involves coating the tempeh with the marinade periodically to pack in even more flavor.
Frozen or fresh corn kernels work in this recipe. Spread the corn onto a medium-large rimmed baking sheet. Toss the corn with chili powder, and fresh lime juice for roasting. Add a drizzle of olive oil if desired for more crispy kernels. Roast the corn with the tempeh for 10 minutes once the tempeh has baked for 20 minutes.
Warm the buns in the oven for the last 5 minutes of baking.
Transfer the roasted corn to a medium bowl and add the vegan feta crumbles, fresh cilantro, and salt and pepper to taste.
Assemble the Vegan Rib Sandwiches with Street Corn
Make the sriracha mayonnaise, if using. Otherwise, heat any remaining marinade to add to the sandwiches.
Place two tempeh rectangles in each bun, for a total of four sandwiches. Top with street corn. Drizzle with sriracha mayonnaise.
👩🏼🌾 Ingredients & Nutrition
This street corn recipe is a vegan version of Mexican Street Corn, a popular Mexican street food dish. Mexican street corn typically consists of grilled corn on the cob and a mixture of mayonnaise, sour cream, cotija cheese, chili powder, fresh cilantro, and lime juice.
Tofu and tempeh are processed soy products. Both are healthful sources of plant-based protein.
Tofu is made from coagulated soy milk pressed into white solid blocks. It's available in a variety of textures including super firm, extra firm, firm, soft, and silken.
Tempeh is made from soybeans that have been fermented and compacted into a firm, dense cake. Some varieties also contain flax, brown rice, quinoa, and spices.
Tempeh is chewy with a nutty, earthy taste. Tofu is more neutral in taste and easily absorbs the flavors of the foods it is cooked with.
👩🏽🍳 Made This Recipe?
Share your Vegan Rib Sandwich with Street Corn creation with me on Instagram. It makes my day to see you recreate my recipes.
I would love it if you would rate this recipe and leave a comment. Thank you in advance.
Vegan Rib Sandwich with Street Corn
- 8 ounces tempeh (½ packet)
For the marinade:
- ¼ cup low sodium tamari or soy sauce
- ¼ cup ketchup
- 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 cups sweet corn kernels frozen or fresh
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ lime juice
- 4 hotdog buns
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- ⅓ cup crumbled feta vegan
For the sriracha mayonnaise (optional):
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise vegan
- 2 teaspoons sriracha
- Fresh lime juice to taste
- Salt to taste
- Gently boil the tempeh for 3 minutes in water to cover by 2 inches. Drain and set aside to cool.
- Make the marinade: In a medium bowl, whisk the tamari, ketchup, Dijon, maple syrup, onion powder, and pepper. Set aside.
- Cut the block of tempeh into 8 equal rectangles: Cut the block in half, widthwise. Cut each half, widthwise, into two equal rectangles (for a total 4 rectangles). Turn each rectangle narrow side up and cut lengthwise into two equal rectangles (for a total of 8 rectangles).
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF.
- Marinate the tempeh: Pour the marinade into a rimmed dish large enough to fit the tempeh rectangles in a single layer. Place the rectangles in the marinade. Flip them over until both sides are generously coated with the marinade. Set aside for at least 15 minutes.
- Season the corn: Transfer the corn to a rimmed baking sheet. Season the corn, chili powder, and lime juice.
- Bake the tempeh: Transfer the tempeh to a large, lined baking sheet, reserving the remaining marinade to use for basting. Place the tempeh into the oven and bake for 10 minutes. Brush the tempeh generously with the sauce on both sides. Bake for 10 minutes more. Brush the tempeh with more sauce on both sides.
- Bake the corn: Place the baking sheet with the corn into the oven with the tempeh and bake for another 10 minutes.
- Warm the hotdog buns in the oven for the last 5 minutes of baking.
- Make the street corn: Mix the cilantro, and feta with the roasted corn. Season with salt and pepper.
- Make the sriracha mayonnaise: In a small bowl, whisk the mayonnaise, sriracha, lime juice, and salt.
- Assemble the sandwich: Place two tempeh rectangles into each hotdog bun. Top with street corn, and drizzle with sriracha mayo.
- The sriracha mayonnaise is optional. Alternatively, heat any remaining marinade and drizzle onto the sandwiches when assembling.
This information is provided as a courtesy and is an ESTIMATE only. Varying factors such as product types or brands purchased can change the nutritional information in any given recipe.