Vegan Pasta Bake with Mushrooms is an easy, low-cost meal. Add pantry-friendly ingredients to a casserole dish, bake, and mix in the pasta. (oil-free option)
8 ounces pasta (½ packet)
7 ounces extra-firm tofu (½ packet), cut into 1-inch cubes
¼ cup nutritional yeast
2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
½ teaspoon garlic powder
½ teaspoon onion powder
½ teaspoon ground mustard
¼ cup unsweetened nondairy milk, plus more as needed
1 ½ tablespoons mellow miso
8 ounces cremini or white button mushrooms, sliced into about ½-inch-thick pieces
1 tablespoon chopped rosemary leaves
2 garlic cloves, minced
Drizzle of olive oil (optional)
Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF.
- Cook the pasta following the directions on the package until it is al dente. Reserve ½ cup of the cooking water when draining.
- Blend the sauce ingredients: Place the tofu, nutritional yeast, cider vinegar, Dijon, garlic powder, onion powder, ground mustard, and nondairy milk in a blender. Mix the miso in 2 ½ tablespoons water until fully dissolved. Add to the blender. Blend on high until mostly smooth, adding more nondairy milk as needed for blending.
- Season the mushrooms: Add the mushrooms to a medium bowl with the rosemary. Add the garlic. Drizzle with olive oil, and season with salt and pepper. Massage the mushrooms until evenly coated with the oil.
- Place mushrooms and sauce into a casserole dish: Transfer the mushrooms to a large casserole dish and place them along the sides of the dish. Add the tofu sauce to the middle of the dish. Drizzle with olive oil. Bake for about 30 minutes, or until the mushrooms are just cooked.
- Add ¼ cup of hot pasta cooking water to the casserole dish. Stir the sauce and mushrooms to combine. Add more cooking water as needed until the desired creaminess.
- Add cooked pasta: Mix in the desired amount of cooked pasta.
For oil-free: Omit the olive oil. Season the mushrooms with balsamic vinegar.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Category: Main
- Cuisine: Vegan
Keywords: vegan pasta, tofu, easy vegan dinner, tofu pasta sauce, baked mushroom pasta, kid-friendly vegan dinner