Spiced Tofu & Black Bean Vegan Chili is loaded with plant-based protein. Poblanos & jalapeños make this chili very flavorful. Easy & healthy. (Oil-free & tofu-free options.)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large red onion, finely chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large poblano chili, seeded and minced
- 1 small jalapeno, seeded and minced
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 (14-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup canned tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 (14-ounce) packet extra-firm tofu, pressed, drained, and cut into 3/4-inch pieces or crumbled
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch (optional)
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed, or 1 1/2 cups cooked beans
- Vegetable broth or water as needed
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice, or to taste
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro, for garnish
- Cook the aromatics: Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium heat. Cook the onion, garlic, poblano, jalapeño, 1 tablespoon chili powder, and cumin, stirring occasionally. Cook for about 5 minutes, or until the onion is just softened.
- Add the diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, and oregano. Reduce the heat and gently simmer for 10 minutes.
- Season the tofu: Meanwhile, transfer the tofu to a medium bowl. Toss with 2 teaspoons chili powder, and cornstarch (if using), until evenly coated.
- Cook the tofu: Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the tofu and cook for about 3 minutes, or until the chili powder is lightly toasted, stirring frequently. Transfer the tofu with the chili oil to the saucepan.
- Add remaining ingredients: Stir in the black beans and simmer for 10 minutes more, partially covered. Add vegetable broth or water as desired. Add lime juice to taste. Season with salt and pepper.
- Garnish with cilantro.
- Use vegetable broth in place of olive oil for cooking the aromatics.
- Bake the tofu at 400ºF. Do not pan-fry.
- Skip the tofu and use 2 (15-ounce) cans of beans.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: Main Course
- Cuisine: Vegan
Keywords: vegan chili, easy vegan dinner, tofu chili, vegan black bean chili, budget-friendly vegan recipe