High-protein Smashed Chickpea Avocado Sandwich with Nori is quick, easy, vegan and kid-friendly. Great for school lunches or dinner.
- 1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed, or 1 1/2 cups cooked chickpeas
- 1 medium avocado, roughly chopped
- 1/3 cup vegan mayonnaise
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 tablespoon nori or dulse flakes, or 1 sheet toasted nori (shredded)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 large garlic clove
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 8 slices sourdough bread or bread of choice
- 1 (16-ounce) jar roasted peppers (optional)
- Vegan chipotle mayonnaise to taste (optional)
- Combine ingredients: Transfer the chickpeas, avocado, mayonnaise, cayenne, nori, lemon juice, and lemon zest to a large bowl.
- Grate garlic: Use a microplane or fine grater to grate the garlic into the bowl.
- Season: Add salt and pepper to taste. Add the parsley and mix to combine.
- Smash: Use a potato masher to smash the ingredients until combined, leaving about one third of the chickpeas whole.
- Optional: Spread chipotle mayonnaise (or spread of your choice) onto toasted bread. Top with smashed chickpea avocado filling and roasted red peppers.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Main Course
- Cuisine: Vegan
Keywords: chickpea salad, avocado toast, chickpea 'tuna', easy vegan dinner, vegan sandwich, school lunch