High-protein Smashed Chickpea Avocado Sandwich with Nori is quick, easy, vegan and kid-friendly. Great for school lunches or dinner.
This delicious sandwich filling can be yours in less than 10 minutes! Plus, it's nutritious, budget-friendly, and kids love it.
This was inspired by my BBQ Pulled Jackfruit Sandwich on this site, and pairs well with these Homemade Baked Potato Chips.
- Vegan mayonnaise
- Nori or dulse flakes, or 1 sheet toasted nori (shredded)
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Fresh parsley
See recipe card for quantities.
Seaweed sushi sheets and seaweed flakes both work for this Smashed Chickpea Avocado Sandwich with Nori recipe.
Sushi nori sheets come either toasted or untoasted. The toasted sheets are more flavorful. (Optional: Toast your untoasted sushi nori sheets. Pass the sheet over a gas burner for a few seconds on both sides. Use a pair of tongs to do this.)
If using sushi sheets, use your hands to break the sheet into small pieces.
Add the ingredients, except for the garlic, to a large bowl.
Mash the ingredients using a potato masher until well combined, leaving about one third of the chickpeas whole for more texture.
🌱 Substitutions & Variations
- Chickpeas - instead of chickpeas, you can use Great Northern, navy, or cannellini beans
- Herbs & Spices - use your choice of seasonings -Italian, Old Bay, Tandoori, Za'atar
- Avocado - double down on chickpeas and substitute the avocado for hummus
- Spicy - add crushed red pepper for a kick
See this High-Protein Bean & Corn Salad with white beans on my website!
Use a microplane or finer grater to grate the garlic. This adds more flavor than minced garlic.
To store any remaining smashed chickpea avocado sandwich filling, transfer the leftovers to a small airtight container. Cover with a thin layer of water. Refrigerate for up to two days. To serve, pour off the water and mix well.
These ingredients don't stand up well to freezing.
Keeping the pit in the bowl, adding extra lime juice, or pressing plastic wrap on top, never seem to prevent my guacamole from browning.
However, what I find does work, is adding a thin layer on top. Water serves as a barrier against oxygen, which is what causes the avocado to brown.
When you are ready to serve your leftover guacamole, pour off the water and mix thoroughly. It will be a vivd green, just like the day you made it.
Use your leftover guacamole within 24 hours.
👩🏽🍳 Made this recipe?
Please leave a review and share your creation with me on Instagram. It makes my day to see you recreate my recipes.
I would love it if you would ⭐️ rate this recipe and leave a comment. Thank you in advance.
Smashed Chickpea Avocado Sandwich with Nori
- 15 ounces chickpeas canned, drained and rinsed
- 1 medium avocado roughly chopped
- ⅓ cup mayonnaise vegan
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne
- 1 tablespoon nori or dulse flakes, or 1 sheet toasted nori (shredded)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 large garlic clove
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper to taste
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- 8 slices sourdough bread or bread of choice
- Roasted peppers canned or jarred (optional)
- Vegan chipotle mayonnaise to taste (optional)
- Combine ingredients: Transfer the chickpeas, avocado, mayonnaise, cayenne, nori, lemon juice, and lemon zest to a large bowl.
- Grate garlic: Use a microplane or fine grater to grate the garlic into the bowl.
- Season: Add salt and pepper to taste. Add the parsley and mix to combine.
- Smash: Use a potato masher to smash the ingredients until combined, leaving about one third of the chickpeas whole.
- Optional: Spread chipotle mayonnaise (or spread of your choice) onto toasted bread. Top with smashed chickpea avocado filling and roasted red peppers.
- Omit the seaweed flakes as desired.
- Substitute canned chickpeas for 1 ½ cups cooked chickpeas.
- For a smoother texture, mash the avocado and chickpeas beforehand.
This information is provided as a courtesy and is an ESTIMATE only. Varying factors such as product types or brands purchased can change the nutritional information in any given recipe.
My kids loved this!
Yay! Happy they enjoyed it.