This Lentil Chili & Thyme Roasted Corn recipe is high in plant-based protein, uses low-cost and pantry-friendly ingredients, and is a hearty dinner the whole family will enjoy.
For the chili:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or vegetable broth
- 1 large yellow onion, medium dice
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 16-ounce bag dry French green, green or brown lentils
- 2 14.5-ounce cans diced tomatoes
- 1 32-ounce carton vegetable broth, plus more for cooking
- 5 sprigs fresh thyme (optional)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup, or to taste
- Juice of fresh lime, to taste
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro, for garnish
For the corn:
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 6 tablespoons vegan butter
- 3 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
- 6 cobs corn, shucked (husk and silk removed)
- Dash of salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
For the chili:
- Aromatics: Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook for about 5 minutes, or until translucent. Add the garlic, chili powder, cumin, oregano, cayenne, and onion powder and cook for about 30 seconds more, or until fragrant.
- Cook Lentils: Add the lentils, tomatoes, vegetable broth, 2 cups water, and thyme. Bring the liquid to a simmer and cook with the lid on for about 20 minutes, or until the lentils are al dente. Stir occasionally, adding more broth or water as needed.
- Blend: Once the lentils are cooked, remove the thyme stems. Transfer 4 cups of the lentil chili to a blender and blend until smooth. Add the puréed lentils back to the saucepan and stir to combine.
- Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Add maple syrup, and fresh lime juice to taste. Garnish with cilantro.
For the corn:
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- Prepare Corn: In a small bowl, cream together the vegan butter, garlic, and thyme. Spread the butter mixture evenly over the corn.
- Roast: Wrap each corn separately in aluminum foil and transfer to a large baking sheet, placing them in an even layer. Roast for 40 minutes, turning them over halfway.
- Broil: Remove the corn from the oven and open the foil to expose the cobs. Change the oven setting to broil. Place them back into the oven and broil for about 4 minutes, or until slightly charred. Be careful not to let them burn.
- Season with salt and black pepper.
These are two separate recipes. You can choose to make the lentil chili without the thyme roasted corn, or the thyme roasted corn without the lentil chili.
The chili recipe requires 35 minutes from start to finish.
The corn recipe requires 45 minutes from start to finish.
For Thyme Roasted Corn Oil-Free:
What you need:
6 cobs corn (shucked –husk and silk removed)-
3 lemons, plus 3 teaspoons lemon zest-
Paprika, for seasoning-
Chili powder, for seasoning-
Rub each cob with juice of one-half lemon, ½ teaspoon lemon zest, a generous dash of paprika, and chili powder. Follow the cooking instructions in the recipe.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Category: Main Course
- Cuisine: Vegan
Keywords: easy vegan dinner, high protein vegan, lentil chili, vegan chili, roasted corn