This Lemongrass Turmeric Tofu Curry is easy to make, high in protein, kid-friendly, and very flavorful. (Oil-free option)
- ½ block extra-firm tofu (7 ounces), pressed, cut into ¾-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon neutral cooking oil, plus 2 teaspoons for cooking (optional )
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 ½ tablespoons Mekhala Lemongrass Turmeric Paste
- 1 medium sweet potato, cut into ½-inch pieces (about 1 ½ cups)
- 1 small head cauliflower, cut into florets (2 cups)
- 1 can unsweetened coconut milk (14 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon tamari or soy sauce
- Fresh lime juice to taste
- ¼ cup chopped scallions (green parts only), for garnish
- ¼ cup chopped peanuts, for garnish (optional)
- Optional: Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Pan fry the tofu in a single layer for about 5 minutes, or until golden brown on the top and bottom. Set aside.
- Aromatics: In a medium saucepan, heat 2 teaspoons oil (or vegetable broth) over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook for about 5 minutes, or until a light golden brown.
- Cook: Add the Lemongrass Turmeric Paste and cook for 1 minute more, stirring constantly. Add the sweet potato and stir to combine. Add the cauliflower florets, coconut milk, tamari, and 1 cup water. Simmer covered for about 15 minutes, or until the sweet potato is just fork tender.
- Add Tofu: Transfer the tofu to the curry and stir to combine. Cook until warmed through.
- Season: Add fresh lime juice to taste. Garnish with chopped scallions, and peanuts.
How to make this recipe oil-free: Skip the step of pan frying the tofu cubes, and instead add them directly to the curry once the vegetables are done cooking. Use vegetable broth in place of oil for cooking the onion.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: Main Course
- Cuisine: Vegan
Keywords: vegan curry, tofu, easy vegan recipe, kid-friendly vegan