Vegan Easy 6-Ingredient Lentil Burgers are the ultimate high-protein, plant-based burgers. Kid-friendly using affordable ingredients. Foolproof recipe. Oil-free option and gluten-free.
- 1 1/2 cups dried red lentils
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large shallot or 1 small onion, small dice (about 1/3 cup)
- 1/3 cup grated carrots (about 3 small)
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Neutral cooking oil for pan frying (optional)
- Pre-heat the oven to 400ºF. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat.
- Soak the lentils in enough water to cover by about 2 inches for two hours. Rinse and drain thoroughly.
- Place the ingredients into a canister: Add the drained lentils, garlic, shallot, carrot, tomato paste, cilantro, salt, and black pepper to a food processor. Pulse until the ingredients are well combined and the mixture holds together, scraping the sides of the canister as needed.
- Shape the patties: Scoop out ¼ cup of the mixture at a time. Shape into patties, about ½ inch thick.
- Option 1 Bake: Bake the patties for 10 minutes. Flip them over and bake for about 10 minutes more, or until crispy on both sides.
- Option 2 Pan-Fry: Heat enough oil in a large nonstick skillet to reach about halfway up the sides of the patties. Cook the patties for about 4 minutes on each side, or until golden and crispy. (You may need to do this in batches so as not to overcrowd the skillet.) Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate to drain any excess oil.
- For serving: Serve with a bun and desired toppings; a side salad; or oven roasted potatoes.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Main Course
- Cuisine: Vegan
Keywords: vegan burger, lentil burger, oil-free vegan burger, gluten-free burger