This recipe for Curried Butternut Squash Red Lentil Soup uses pantry-friendly ingredients, is quick and affordable to make, with an option for oil-free.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or vegetable broth
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- ½ teaspoon coriander
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon garam masala
- 1 cup red lentils, rinsed and drained
- 1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 2 cups vegetable broth, plus more for cooking
- 1 medium butternut squash, cut into ¾-inch pieces (3 cups)
- Canned coconut milk to taste (optional)
- Unsweetened non-dairy milk to taste (optional)
- Fresh lime juice to taste
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro, for garnish
- Aromatics: Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Cook the onion for about 5 minutes, or until translucent. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds more.
- Spices: Add the curry powder, coriander, cumin, turmeric, and garam masala. Cook for 1 minute more.
- Cook: Add the red lentils, diced tomatoes, vegetable broth, and butternut squash. Bring the liquid to a gentle boil before reducing the heat. Simmer with the lid on for about 20 minutes, or until the lentils are cooked and the squash is just tender.
- Blend: Transfer 2 cups of the curry (without the squash) to a blender. Blend until mostly smooth. Return to the saucepan.
- Add Liquid: : Stir in the desired amount of coconut milk, vegetable broth, or non-dairy milk until the desired consistency. Heat until warmed through, adding more broth, coconut milk, or non-dairy milk as needed.
- Season: Add fresh lime juice to taste. Garnish with freshly chopped cilantro.
For oil-free, substitute the olive oil for vegetable broth.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: Main Course
- Cuisine: Vegan
Keywords: butternut squash, vegan soup recipe, high protein vegan