Soy curls add protein and a meaty texture to these Crispy Soy Curl Vegan 'Duck' Pancakes. 30-minutes to make. A kid-friendly weeknight dinner.
For the sauce:
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons vegan Hoisin sauce plus more for pancakes
- 1/4 cup plus 1 1/2 teaspoons tamari or soy sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 3 large green onions, thinly sliced crosswise
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon five spice powder
- Freshly ground Tellicherry or Szechuan black peppercorns to taste (optional)
- 1 12-count packet Peking duck wrapper or 8-count coconut flour tortillas (or serve with rice)
- 1 large cucumber, julienned
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds for garnish
- Soak the soy curls in water to cover by 2 inches for 10 minutes. Rinse and drain.
- Make the sauce: In a medium bowl, mix the Hoisin sauce, tamari, rice vinegar, maple syrup, tamarind (if using), and white pepper.
- Cook soy curls: Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook the soy curls in a single layer for about 8 minutes, or until golden brown and crispy. (You may need to do this in batches.) Transfer to a dish and set aside.
- Cook the scallions for about 3 minutes, or until translucent. Add the garlic and ginger and cook for 1 minute more. Add the five spice and cook for 30 seconds.
- Combine and heat: Add back the soy curls, and the desired amount of sauce. Mix to combine and heat for about 2 minutes, or until warmed through.
- For serving: Spread Hoisin sauce taste on pancakes, top with soy curls, cucumbers, scallions, and sesame seeds.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: Main Course
- Cuisine: Vegan
Keywords: vegan duck pancakes, soy curls, 30-minute vegan recipe, easy vegan dinner, Asian-inspired vegan