Vegan Cashew Tofu Lettuce Wraps are high-protein & budget-friendly. Ready in 15-minutes. A healthy weeknight family dinner. Oil-free option. No chopping required.
- 1 (14-ounce) packet extra-firm tofu, pressed, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch, plus 1 teaspoon for sauce
- 1/4 cup tamari or soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons vegan hoisin sauce
- 1 teaspoon sriracha
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon neutral cooking oil or vegetable broth
- 6 green onions, chopped
- 3/4-inch piece ginger
- 1 small garlic clove
- 1 cup cashews or to taste
- 1 head iceberg or romaine lettuce, leaves separated
- Sesame seeds for garnish (optional)
- Prepare tofu: Transfer the tofu to a large bowl. Toss with 1 tablespoon cornstarch until evenly coated.
- Make sauce: In a medium bowl, mix the tamari, hoisin sauce, sriracha, maple syrup, 1 teaspoon cornstarch, and 2 tablespoons water. Stir well to combine.
- Cook tofu: Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Cook the tofu for about 5 minutes, or until golden brown, stirring regularly.
- Cook aromatics: Add the scallions and cook one minute more. Grate the garlic and ginger into the skillet and cook for another 30 seconds.
- Combine: Add the cashews and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add the sauce plus 2 tablespoons water. Mix to combine. Cook for about 3 minutes, or until thickened enough to coat the tofu.
- For serving: Divide between lettuce leaves as desired.
For oil-free: Bake the coated tofu on a large baking sheet in a single layer at 425ºF for 15 minutes. Add to the skillet with the cashews.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Main Course
- Cuisine: Vegan
Keywords: vegetarian lettuce wraps, vegan lettuce wraps, tofu recipes, easy vegan recipe, kid-friendly vegan