Quick & easy, vegan 7-Ingredient Brown-Butter Butternut Squash Pasta is a budget-friendly and kid-approved meal. Perfect for weeknights.
Butternut squash tossed in garlicky browned butter is divine. Especially with the earthy and citrusy flavor of fresh sage, and the delicious crunch from the toasted walnuts.
- Butternut Squash
- Olive oil
- Salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Vegan butter (preferably unsalted)
- Sage leaves
See recipe card for quantities.
With minimal prep, and a short cooking time, you'll likely make this 7-Ingredient Brown-Butter Butternut Squash Pasta on repeat.
Start by prepping the butternut squash for roasting. Try to cut the squash into equal-sized pieces so they are done roasting at the same time.
Meanwhile, prepare the brown butter sauce. Cut the butter into equal-sized pieces so it browns evenly.
Place the pieces of butter in a light-colored pan so you can see when it has browned. Cook for about 5 minutes over medium heat. Use a wooden spoon or spatula to move the butter around as it melts.
The butter will begin to foam, and sizzle around the edges. Specks will start forming on the bottom, and there will be a nutty and rich aroma.
Cook over low heat for one minute more, or until the garlic is fragrant.
Cook until warmed through.
- Butternut squash - instead of butternut squash, you can use honeynut squash, acorn squash, pumpkin or sweet potato
- Walnuts - use pecans, hazelnuts, almonds or pistachios instead of walnuts as desired
- Sage - the fresh sage can be replaced with 1 teaspoon dried
- Side dish - skip the pasta and make this brown-butter butternut squash with walnuts and sage as a side dish
- Spicy - add crushed red pepper to spice things up
- More healthy - skip the butter in this recipe and use olive oil instead (heat the oil but do not brown)
See this Chickpea Pasta with Garlic and Herbs made with olive oil.
Use a light colored skillet for melting the butter so you can easily see when it turns golden. This will help prevent burning.
Refrigerate any remaining 7-Ingredient Brown-Butter Butternut Squash in an air-tight container for 2 to 3 days. Store any remaining pasta separate from the squash.
These ingredients don't stand up well to freezing.
💡 Top tip
Keep a very close eye on the butter when browning. Butter burns very quickly.
🎥 Watch This Video
Cut the ends off each side. This will create a flat surface.
Stand on one of the flat ends.
Cut in half lengthwise down the middle. Scoop out the seeds.
(You can remove the skin with a vegetable peeler.)
Cut the squash and remove the seeds (see above). Do not peel.
Place each half, skin side up, on a piece of parchment paper.
Microwave 15 to 20 minutes, or until fork tender, rotating after 10 minutes. (This cook time is for medium-sized squash.)
👩🏽🍳 Made this recipe?
Share your creation with me on Instagram. It makes my day to see you recreate my recipes.Print